Piran - Relaxing Quiet Walk in this Gem of the Slovene Riviera - 4K UHD - sLOVEnia
Piran is a town in southwestern Slovenia on the Gulf of Piran on the Adriatic Sea. It is one of the three major towns of Slovenian Istria. The town is known for its medieval architecture, with narrow streets and compact houses. Piran is the administrative seat of the Municipality of Piran and one of Slovenia's major tourist attractions.
Until the mid-20th century, Italian was the dominant language, but it was replaced by Slovene as demographics shifted. Now a little bit about history of Piran: In the pre-Roman era, the hills in the Piran area were inhabited by Illyrian Histri tribes who were farmers, hunters and fishermen. They were also pirates who disrupted Roman trade in the northern Adriatic. The Piran peninsula was incorporated into the Roman Empire in 178 and 177 BC and settled in the following years with rural homes The name of the town most probably originates from the Greek "pyrrhos", which means "red", because of the reddish flysch stones commonly found in the town's area. Some historians also refer it to "pyros", meaning fire, due to ancient lighthouses which were supposed to be on the edge of the marina. From 1283 to 1797, the town became part of the Republic of Venice, where it was governed in a semi-autonoumous way.
Tartini Square is the largest and main square in the town of Piran, Slovenia. It was named after violinist and composer Giuseppe Tartini, of whom a monument was made in 1896. He was an Italian Baroque composer and violinist born in the Republic of Venice. The square was once an inner dock for smaller vessels such as fishing boats, and was located outside of the first city walls. From 1909 to 1912, a trolleybus path was made which connected Piran to the train station in Lucija ...
... where the Parenzana railway was made, which connected Trieste and Poreč with various other towns. Btw, it was the first trolleybus line in the Balkans and it was introduced to public service on 24 October 1909. During the main season (July 1 to September 1) no vehicles are allowed to park within the square. Instead they have to park in the town's car parkhouse in Fornače.
There is also a line of free mini-bus which drive to the square, if you are parked in Fornače. This is the way up to St. George's Parish Church. It`s a Roman Catholic church located on the hill above Piran. It was built in the Venetian Renaissance architectural style and has been dedicated to Saint George. It was the life work of the stonemason Bonfante Torre from Venice. The first church on top of the hill was already built in the 12th century.
In 1592 a construction of a new church began on the same location, replacing the old one. The construction of the new one was finished in 1614. The new free-standing bell tower, which was a separate building and was a faithful replica of St. Mark's Campanile in Venice, was finished a year later. The interior was equipped and decorated until 1637, when the church was consecrated. The Renaissance front facade of the church was built in 1608, based on the early 16th-century church facades by Andrea Palladio.
There are very amazing views from the top of the hill, whether you like the sea or the town view. The town was annexed to the Austrian Empire in 1797. But during the years from 1806 to 1814, it was ceded to the Napoleonic Empire. On 22 February 1812, the Battle of Pirano was fought between a British and a French ship of the line in the vicinity of Piran. This was a minor battle of the Adriatic campaign of the Napoleonic Wars. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Piran was an Austro-Hungarian town with over 12,000 inhabitants, larger than nearby Koper.
It was a flourishing market and spa town with good transport connections On 24 October 2010, Slovenia became the first country of former communist Europe to elect a black mayor. The physician Peter Bossman, who came from Ghana in the late 1970s, was elected the Mayor of Piran. And now something about culture: Piran is the birthplace of the composer and violinist Giuseppe Tartini, who played an important role in shaping its cultural heritage. The town's main square, Tartini Square, is named after him. In 1892, the 200th anniversary of his birth, a monument to Tartini was erected in Piran. Venetian artist Antonio Dal Zotto was commissioned to create a larger-than-life bronze statue, which was mounted on its pedestal in 1896.
The painter Cesare Dell'Acqua was also born in Piran. There are many restaurants and hotels in Piran. Offering seafood, local cuisine and quality wines. Also, if you like to party in a traditional Slovene style, you are heartly welcome :) There is an international airport and a marina in the vicinity of the town. The medium-wave transmitter of Radio Koper is in Piran.
It transmits on 1170 kHz and has a 123.6-metre-tall guyed mast with cage antenna. The town is connected with Koper, Izola, Portorož (the location of the airport), Sečovlje and Lucija by a cheap bus line. This is a map of Piran, which consists of books.
It is a sculpture made by Dragan Sakan. Dragan Sakan was an advertising pioneer of Serbia and other countries in the region. The magazine Advertising Age, Washington described him as "almost a mythical figure... The man who transformed propaganda into advertising in the region"