Rome | Biking around Tiber Island, Italy【Biking Tour] Roman bridges historical information- 4K
[Brief intro] 1/3 ☀️*Sixtus Bridge*☀️ The predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus," "Pons Antonini in Arenula," and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus." 2/3 The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772, at the time the Lombard king Desiderius took Rome, and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, whose name it carries to this day. 3/3 On 20 August 1662, a brawl erupting between some Corsican soldiers controlling the bridge and Frenchmen triggered the Corsican Guard Affair and had as effect the disbanding of the Corsican Guard, a corp of mercenaries originating from the island having police duties in Rome. [Lungotevere Raffello Sanzio] ☀️Garibaldi Bridge☀️ The bridge was designed by architect Angelo Vescovali and built between 1884 and 1888; it was dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi, "Hero of Two Worlds" and one of the fathers of Italian unification. The bridge, enlarged in 1959, was released to facilitate the expansion of the town towards Trastevere.
1/4 ☀️Cestius Bridge☀️ The original bridge was built around the 1st century BC,after the Pons Fabricius, which connects the other side of island to the river's left bank. The identity of the Cestius referred to in the bridge's name is unknown. 2/4 The Pons Cestius was the first bridge that reached the right bank of the Tiber from Tiber Island. The Pons Cestius was restored during the reign of the emperor Antoninus Pius. 3/4 In the 4th century the Pons Cestius was replaced by a new structure. It was re-dedicated as the Pons Gratiani, to the brother-emperors Valentinian I and Valens and Valentinian's son Gratian. 4/4 Both the pontes Cestius and Fabricius were long-living bridges; although the Fabricius remains wholly intact, the Ponte Cestio was restored several times from the 12th century and wholly dismantled and rebuilt in the 19th century, with only some of the ancient structure preserved. [Descending to Tiber Island] 1/5 ☀️Aemilius Bridge ("Broken" Bridge)☀️ The oldest piers of the bridge were probably laid when the Via Aurelia was constructed in the mid-2nd century BC. According to Titus Livius, there existed a bridge in the same location as the Pons Aemilius in 192 BC. The first stone bridge was constructed by Censor Marcus Fulvius Nobilior several years after that, in 179 BC
2/5 The bridge's piers date from this early period, although its arches were constructed by Scipio Aemilianus and L. Mummius in 142 BC. The bridge kept its place for several hundred years, although it was repaired and rebuilt both by Augustus, and later by Emperor Probus in AD 280. 3/5 After the collapse of the Roman Empire, the bridge was damaged several times by floods, with each flood taking a greater and greater toll on the overall structure. It was first severely damaged in AD 1230, after which it was rebuilt by Pope Gregory XI, then in 1557 by Piux XIII 4/5 Finally, floods in 1575 and 1598 carried the eastern half away, resulting in its abandonment as a functioning bridge for several centuries. For many years, it was used as a fishing pier. 5/5 In 1853, Pope Pius IX had the remnants of the bridge connected to the mainland via an iron footbridge, but the heavy metal weakened the structural integrity of the stone. The remaining half was demolished in 1887 to make room for the Ponte Palatino, leaving behind only one arch that remains to this day. [Climbing up to Tiber Island] [Square of St.Bartholomew on the Island] [Via di Ponte quattro Capi] 1/2 ☀️Bridge Fabricius☀️ The Pons Fabricius is the oldest Roman bridge in Rome still existing in its original state. Built in 62 BC, it spans half of the Tiber River, from the Campus Martius on the east side to Tiber Island in the middle.
2/2 According to Dio Cassius, the bridge was built in 62 BC, the year after Cicero was consul, to replace an earlier wooden bridge destroyed by fire. It was commissioned by Lucius Fabricius, the curator of the roads and a member of the gens Fabricia of Rome. Completely intact from Roman antiquity, it has been in continuous use ever since. [Lungotevere dei Pierleoni] [Vico Jugario] [Roman Forum] [Via di San Teodoro] [Circus Maximus]